Friday, October 8, 2010

Miscellaneous Thoughts and Sisqo

Let me tell you something about running in the rain: It’s wet. That’s not some coded message about the meaning of life. I just decided to go running the other day despite the rain and I got wet. It was exhilarating. Then it got a little annoying. But then it gave me a goal to work towards. I was going to finish this run even if it meant getting drenched and I was going feel accomplished that I did it! I want to fill my life with these little challenges and these little joys. We owe it to ourselves to keep it interesting.

On another note, I think the entire female population should blame SISQO for turning something so plain and pure into something so sexual. I’m talking about the THONG song. You remember it. Annoying but catchy. Well it’s done something irreconcilable to our culture. It’s allowed and encouraged men to believe that any female undergarment thicker that a shoestring is disgusting. A crime. Now, excuse me for having an opinion about what I put in, on, and around my badonka donk, but if I’m wearing it, I want it to be comfortable. Walking, sitting, sleeping, ANYTHING involving shoestring in my butt crack is not comfortable. I will occasionally make concessions of course, but the love of my life, let’s call him John Doe, vehemently complains when I wear anything but a thong. Perhaps this is too much information, but just this morning he noted that not only was I “gross” for wearing bikini cut underwear but they were… get this… COTTON!!! I am the official queen of grossness. I told him that I loved him too.

Oh! I almost forgot about the Pumpkin Claflouti. It was DIVINE. The sides browned lightly and formed a crepe like crust, while the insides stayed moist and egg-y. Reminded me of soufflé, but denser. We ate the entire thing... before dinner. It was a synch to make too! Recipe below if you are inclined to give it a try.



Pumpkin Claflouti
Adapted from Claudia Fleming via The Last Course

2/3 cup pumpkin purée (canned or freshly pureed*)
5 large eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs. sugar
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup flour
1 tbs. butter
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional; the original recipe suggests toasted hazelnuts)

Place eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, milk, vanilla extract and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until mixture is very smooth, about 30 seconds. Then blend in the pumpkin purée, followed by the flour. Pulse until everything is well combined.
Pass batter through a sieve to filter out large particles; then let the mixture stand at room temperature for 30 minutes (mine sat out for an hour).
Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Brush pie plate with butter and sprinkle remaining 2 tbs. sugar on the bottom (followed by the nuts if you are using them). Pour in the batter.
Bake claflouti for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 375 degrees (F) and bake until the center is just set, about 12 minutes more.
Serve immediately.

* If using freshly made purée, be sure to line a sieve with cheesecloth and drain the extra water out of the purée before using it. If your purée isn’t very watery, then skip this step and start baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment