Friday, November 12, 2010

Blueberry Muffins = Delish

There's nothing better than celebrating a Friday with one of your favorite desserts. My favorite happens to work for both dessert AND breakfast, so really, where could we go wrong? I'm talking about blueberry muffins. I'd also like to argue that blueberry muffins are an any-season dessert. You could make them in June when blueberries are in peak season, or you can make them in November because Ralph's has blueberries on sale 2 for $3!


Let's do this.


First, I like to print out a recipe which I use as a guide. What I end up with (and what I am documenting here) never matches what the recipe says. I like to improvise when I cook, and with this recipe, I think I did something right.

I did follow the preheat oven to 350 degrees and the place paper liners in muffin pans instructions, so at this point, you should too.


My recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar and 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature. Cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy (or something like that).


Next add 3 large eggs to the mix. Beat until well combined.


Then beat in 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 cup sour cream, and 1/4 cup milk.  


Then, in an effort to keep the dishes clean up to a minimum, pile 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt right on top. It's Mt. I Hate Cleaning Up Dishes!



Ok, now fold 1 cup blueberries into the mix.


Scoop batter into muffin pans and fill each cup to the top. 


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester or wooden skewer comes out clean.



Now the hard part is deciding whether or not you want to share.


I did!

Whip up a batch of these babies and you'll be sorry you hadn't done it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment