Friday, December 10, 2010

Project CB - Dill Bread

Today’s weigh in: 135.6 lbs.

I can see my feet again!

Today’s culinary activities: Dill Bread.

I love all carbohydrates, but my favorite would have to be a fresh loaf of bread slathered with butter. I usually eat the entire loaf. Self-restraint is not one of my strong points when it comes to bread.

We had this Dill Bread on Thanksgiving and I’ve made it twice since. The combination of earthy dill and slightly sour cottage cheese/onion combo make it delectable (with butter of course). And it’s really easy to make!


Combine 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast and ½ cup warm water (100°F) in a small bowl and let stand until the yeast is dissolved, about five minutes.

Combine 3 cups flour, 2 tbsp sugar or honey, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 cup finely chopped onions, and 3 tbsp fresh chopped dill in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a mixer. Then add the yeast along with 1 tbsp margarine, 1 cup cottage cheese, and 1 large beaten egg.


Mix by hand or on low speed until the dough comes together, adding additional flour or warm water if needed. Continue by kneading dough for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl.


Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. After first rising, gently press the dough down, form into a loaf, re-cover and let re-rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour (I split my dough in two before the second rising so I could share, but sharing's not required... or recommended).


Bake 350 about 30 minutes or until done (or instant read thermometer reads about 200). Cool completely on wire rack (or not). Then enjoy!

(recipe adapted from Serena Bateman and Smitten Kitchen)

No comments:

Post a Comment