Monday, May 2, 2011

Ten Things - About Me

I had this idea on my run yesterday that I should have a “Ten Things” feature on this blog. Every week I will make a list of ten things, which will range in content and encompass a whole variety of subjects, such as “Ten Things I Learned Today” or “Ten Things You Didn’t Know About David Bowe” or even “How to Ask ‘Where’s the Bathroom’ in Ten Different Languages.” (¿Dónde está el baño? ¿Eh?) It’ll be a whatever-piques-my-interest-at-the-moment type of entry. And to start it off I’ve decided to make a “Ten Things - About Me” list. Woohoo!


1) If I had to choose between having the ability to smile or laugh, I would pick laugh. (I just had a vision of me on my wedding day, standing in front of all our guests, gazing at my beloved, and not being able to smile at him. I would have to laugh at him instead. How inappropriate would that be?!? But can you imagine, I would forever be remembered as the crazy woman who laughs at all the sweet, tender moments in life. I wouldn’t mind that.)

2) At a young age, I convinced myself that I would never marry someone who had ugly feet. Therefore I would predetermine how “serious” each of my relationships could become based on the other person’s feet. This might sound weird, but I guess I can say I knew Wes was the one for me after I saw his feet.

3) I LOVE to dance. Especially to Madonna. Confessions on a Dance Floor anyone? H-E-A-V-E-N.

4) Although I love to dance, I am NOT a good dancer. My style is more “free form” and “jump around”, with someone usually getting my elbow in their eye.

5) At the age of 25 I developed a mild case of Thanatophobia, which manifests mostly in the form of anxiety as opposed to fear. This is self-diagnosed of course, but there are only so many times I can go running an feel like someone is going to jump out of the bushes and kill me without acknowledging I might have a mental problem.

6) I used to want to be an actor, BUT IN MY DEFENSE, I grew up in LA and everyone here thinks they’re going to be an actor someday. Although there is no excuse for the $350 bucks I spent on headshots. That was a complete waste.

7) If I was forced to have plastic surgery on one part of my body, I would have it done on my boobs. I’m not sure there’s any other way to fix my acute case of “Renaissance Boobs” (yes, that’s the term I used to describe them).

8) I was ineligible to become a member of the National Junior Honors Society and wear gold chords for my 8th grade graduation because I received a B- in “behavior” (yes, we were graded on behavior at my elementary school). This haunts me still today. I even plan to call my memoir “I Got a B- in Behavior: How I Overcame Prejudice and Learned to Live without Fear”. Alternate title: “Look at Me NOW Bitches!”

9) I am very sarcastic. I hope that it’s not so prominent in my writing that you won’t want to read it, but I'm trying to “live without fear” (see #8 above), so I’ve decided against censoring myself and allow it to flow out of me naturally.

10) It takes me around 1-2 hours to write a blog entry. Sometimes I think this is because I am dumb and have trouble forming cohesive thoughts (probably both true), but generally I equate the substance of my entries with the amount of time it takes me to compose them. And I sure write some substantial, compelling stuff don’t I?

Never mind. Don’t answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment